If you’re looking to expand your horizons beyond classic wings, this recipe is a great place to start. They’re just as spicy, but also super savory, sticky, and juuust sweet enough. With a sauce like this, you don’t even need blue cheese. (Then again... we're not stopping ya!)
Vegetable oil, for rack
- 2 lb. chicken wings
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 c. apricot jam
- 1/4 c. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c. sriracha
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 tsp. garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Thinly sliced scallion and/or cilantro leaves, for garnish
Lime wedges, for serving
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and fit with a wire rack. Add about a teaspoon vegetable oil to a piece of paper towel and grease the wire rack
- In a large bowl, combine wings, salt, and baking powder and toss to coat. Place on prepared rack, making sure that no wings are touching. Place in the refrigerator uncovered, ideally for at least 8 hours, and no more than 24.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450°. In a medium bowl, whisk to combine jam, soy sauce, Sriracha, and sesame seeds.
- When oven is preheated, place wings on center rack and bake for 20 minute
- Meanwhile, make sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic, ginger, and five spice, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add jam mixture to pan and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and sesame oil.
- Transfer sauce to a large bowl.
- When 20 minutes are up, remove wings from oven and use tongs to flip them. Return to oven and cook until wings are browned all over, about 15 minutes more.
- Add cooked wings to bowl with sauce and toss well to coat. Transfer to serving platter, top with herbs, and serve with lime wedges on the side.
Recipe thank you to: www.delish.com