- 1tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 pound ground Maple Wind Farm chicken or turkey
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup chopped basil or parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- Kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 4 (¼-inch-thick) slices from a large ripe tomato
- ½ cup grated fresh or low-moisture mozzarella
- 4 burger buns or ciabatta rolls
- Arugula, for serving
- Lightly grease a large plate with oil and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the ground chicken with ½ cup Parmesan, the basil, tomato paste, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt. Working the meat as little as possible, form 4 patties that are each about 4½ inches wide and about ½ cup or 135 grams. Transfer to the greased plate and refrigerate. (This helps prevent the juices and fat from leaking.)
- On a rimmed plate, sprinkle the tomato slices with salt. In a bowl, stir together the mozzarella and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Heat ½ teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the buns, cut sides down, and toast until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium. Working in batches if necessary, add the patties and cook until browned underneath, 3 to 5 minutes. (Reduce heat if the patties are burning.) Flip the patties, top with the cheese mixture, cover the skillet with a lid or baking sheet, and cook until the cheese is melted and the patties are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Pat the tomatoes dry. To each bottom bun, add a handful of arugula, followed by a slice of tomato, a chicken patty and its top bun. Serve hot.