FOR CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS:
- 6 hard boiled or steamed eggs
- 2–3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1–2 tsp. dill pickle juice, lemon juice, or vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Slice each egg in half lengthwise and remove the yolks. Place all yolks in a medium-sized bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise, mustard, 1 tsp. pickle juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the egg yolks. Mash with a fork (or beat with a hand mixer) until completely smooth, adding additional mayo or pickle juice as needed to get the consistency creamy. (Alternatively, you can combine the yolk mixture ingredients in a zip-top bag and mash with your hands.)
Scoop deviled yolk mixture back into the egg white halves using a spoon. Alternatively, you can scoop the mixture into a plastic sandwich bag and snip off the corner to create a “piping bag.”
12 VARIATIONS TO TRY:
- DILL PICKLE: Use pickle juice as directed, and add 1-2 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickle, and a pinch of dried or fresh dill to your yolk mixture.
- PEPPERED BACON: Add 1 Tbsp fresh herbs (cilantro, dill, basil, or parsley) to your yolk mixture and swap 1/4 tsp steak seasoning for the pepper. Top with crisped, crumbled bacon, additional fresh herbs, and halved baby tomatoes.
- SMOKED PAPRIKA: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (optional) and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika to the yolk mixture. Top with additional smoked paprika, as desired.
- LEMON CHIVE: Use lemon juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp fresh minced chives and an extra pinch of pepper to the yolk mixture. Top with a tiny bit of lemon zest, more pepper, and a pinch of fresh chives.
- CURRY: Use lemon or lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder to your yolk mixture. Top with minced cilantro or additional curry powder, as desired.
- SRIRACHA LIME: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add a few drops of sriracha to the yolk mixture. Top with a tiny bit of lime zest and additional sriracha as desired.
- CHIPOTLE: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 tsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers (start small if you don’t want it hot). Alternatively, you can use 1/4- 1/2 tsp dried chipotle chili powder. Top with cilantro and additional chipotle powder/sauce as desired.
- AVOCADO: Omit the mustard. Use 2 tsp. lemon or lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Use 2-4 Tbsp fresh avocado in place of the mayo. Add fresh cilantro as desired. (You can also use prepared guacamole instead of avocado!)
- SALT & VINEGAR: Use vinegar in place of the pickle juice, and add an extra 1 tsp. to the mixture. Top with coarse sea salt (like Maldon salt).
- SALSA VERDE: Omit mustard and pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp salsa verde to the yolk mixture along with the mayo and salt. Add fresh cilantro, if desired. Top with cilantro and more salsa, as desired.
- BUFFALO: Omit the mustard. Add 1-2 tsp. Frank’s Red Hot (or other favorite hot sauce) to the yolk mixture along with the mayo, pickle juice, and salt. Top with fresh chives or dill, as desired.
- EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING. Follow classic deviled egg directions + top with a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning, found in most stores, right before serving.