This is a great condiment over meats! We poured it over our Calabrese meatballs and it was a hit!
MAKES ¾ cup PREP TIME 10 min TOTAL TIME 25 min COOK TIME 15 min
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup dried fruit (some ideas: raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots)
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt (Kosher salt or sea salt)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh chiles (optional)
- Fresh parsley (optional)
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté until they become slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the red wine vinegar and simmer that mixture until it reduces by half, about 5 minutes.
Next, add the capers, dried fruits, and pine nuts. Stir to combine everything.
Stir the honey into the rest of the mixture and simmer everything for about 4 minutes, until the sauce is thicker.
Add the butter and stir until it’s fully combined with the rest of the sauce. Then add the salt and pepper, stirring again to combine all the ingredients.
Add any other optional flavorings, such as lemon zest, red pepper flakes, fresh chiles, or fresh parsley.